Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama is dead; now what? A Milspouse's Perspective

Twitter was quite the place to be last night leading up to, during & after President Obama's announcement.  I follow a significant number of military spouses and military affiliates.  The Twitter stream of the military spouses wasn't as jubilant as many of the tweets I saw coming from others.

When I first saw that Osama's death might be the upcoming announcement, my adrenaline kicked up a notch.  It was literally a gut reaction to finding out the "face" of terrorism might be gone for good.  It did not take long for that adrenaline rush to take a turn towards fear.  Judging by the tweets of my fellow milspouses, I was not and am not alone.


"Now what?" is the biggest question on my mind and the minds of military spouses & families the world over.  What does this mean to the world? What does this mean to the United States? The War on Terror?


Does this mean the TSA can calm down and stop manhandling children?  Will we be able to travel into Canada without a passport again?



What does this mean for my husband/wife/son/daughter/mom/dad?


Is Osama's death going to bring our troops home? 


I can't celebrate Osama's death.  I just can't.  There is a part of me that feels relief, but it's not a deep feeling.  Perhaps the relief I feel would have been stronger years ago before we changed our focus from Al Qaeda to Iraq and Saddam Hussein.


Do I understand why some people are dancing in the streets? Absolutely.  I just can't join them.


 What I don't want is for the United States to lose sight of the fact that we are still at war.  Men and women are still in Afghanistan and Iraq (& evidently Pakistan) risking their lives every. single. day.  One man's death will not end this war.



My hope is that by removing Osama from Al Qaeda, we will have cut off the head of a dangerous beast.

My fear, my absolute greatest fear, is that this is only going to make things worse and seven heads will sprout where the one was removed.


To all my dear friends, family, & fellow military spouses.  Please remember Operations Security (OPSEC) and Personal Security (PERSEC).  "Loose lips sink ships."


My heart is heavy right now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...